Friday, February 24, 2006

New Career Opportunities

So, in my never-ending quest to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, I made the decision (and the investment) to open my own business. Yep, I now have the opportunity to make unlimited amounts of money with only working a few hours a week. Yeah, right. Who thinks up these weird little catch phrases?

My new business? I've become a distributor for Slumber Parties. Yes, that's right. I now sell sex toys and novelties to the masses via home shows. It's actually quite fun and I have a good profit margin.

The problem? Making time in my life to drum up business. I'm kind of busy as it is, what with a full time job and pretty much full time school, and then to add the start of a new business on top of it? Well, needless to say, there is now officially always something to do!

You never realize until you actually start doing something how much it really costs. There was the expense of the initial kit from the company, then there's the requisite tax and business licenses from the city and state, then there's the cost of things like pens and lapboards and presentation materials. Not to mention paying for demo products and then there's inventory. The nice thing (for the customer and for the seasoned distributor) about this company is that when you attend one of these shows and make a purchase, you get to take home the items that night. This is a completely different philosophy from most other home show businesses. Usually, you go to a party, spend money and then wait to get your stuff. So, why is this bad for the new distributor? Because you have to invest in inventory, and when you've already shelled out for the kit and all the aformentioned stuff, your funds are very low. Now, all of my other "slumber sisters" (as we all affectionately refer to each other as) are very sympathetic to my plight, because they were all in my shoes at some point, and advise to just build slowly. And that's the truth, and it will work. But it still will make the first few parties a little awkward - what with all of my literature touting that the ladies can take their stuff home that night - and me actually having to correct that and say, "but I'm new, so. . ."

I'm not too worried - I have 4 parties for the month of March (only one short of my goal, and it's still February) and three possible recruits (it is, afterall, pretty much a pyramid scheme, and I'll make even more money if I have people under me). So, I'm very encouraged and looking forward to having more time to devote to this after I graduate in May. Have I ever mentioned that I graduate this May?