Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I can take a hint!

At several points in my life, I have taken different apptitude tests that tells a person the type of career that they should go into, based on their interests, personality, temperment, etc. I took one in 5th grade and it said either a lawyer or a veterinarian. Well, a lawyer sounded boring, so I started to get interested in being a vet. Until I watched my dog's vet do a procedure on my pooch, and I immediately decided that wasn't for me.

Then, in 8th grade, I took another one (you know all about these - your school makes you take them every few years). This one said a lawyer or a teacher. Lawyer still = boring, so I started to think about being a teacher, but I was told by several people that I wasn't good enough in school to be responsible for other people (even though I made honor society that year), so that idea went out the window.

My senior year of high school, I took an in-depth apptitude test, roughly 300 questions. This one reported back that I should go into the performing arts, or into law. Well, my mom convinced me that there was no way that I was smart enough to be an attorney, but the parentals also made an appointment to meet with the school counselors to deter them from encouraging me into a music career. The counselor told them that based on my scores, that I should consider being an attorney in the music industry. This enraged my mother and she left the office in a huff.

Well, I decided to go to school to become a paralegal with the intention of having that serve as a bit of pre-law. I LOVED the classes. But alas, the job market was very tight and I never got a job as a paralegal. So, I worked a series of jobs that I never really liked, including the insurance industry and several different stints as an admin. None of this to my liking at all.

So, recently, I've been trying to decide what to do with my history degree that I will be getting in May. I've thrown the idea of law school out to a few different people and they have all been terrifically encouraging. So, I checked out a book called "Do What You Are". Another in a long line of apptitude-type things. And guess what? This book points out that I would be good in law enforcement, or, even better in law school. Are we sensing a theme yet?

So, here's the kicker! I'm out there on the big huge internet, where I happen upon several fun little apptitude tests to see what kind of higher education degree I should get. Know what this goofy little thing said?

Here ya go:

Yep - once again, a lawyer. Think I should start listening to the signs, and ignore the dissenting opinions? Only one person, one, that I've ever told about my interest in being an attorney (besides my mom, but I think her reasoning was based on the "dream big, possibly crash and burn big" philosophy) had flat out told me that it's a bad idea. I think he didn't get accepted to law school.