Monday, December 01, 2008

I Don't Even LIKE Tuna!

Having a four day weekend is always a blessing and a curse - a blessing, of course, because there is more time to be able to spend on the things that we enjoy. A curse, because there are so many productive hours that seem to slip away into the past without getting anything accomplished.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was able to indulge in both sides of the four-day-weekend coin. Spending Thursday with my family was a treat, especially playing "hide and seek" with a 3 year old that has boundless energy and a face too cute to say "no" to (especially when she snuggles up to you and says "Please Aunt Beth, more hide seek"). It's impossible to turn that down!

And then I was left with the task of cleaning out and reorganizing my pantry. I've been putting this off for quite some time because I was afraid of how long it would take. And I ended up being right. In order to do this project properly, I had to unload and move 2 other bookcases before even starting on the pantry. My pantry is a free-standing cabinet that has been housed in the closet of my spare bedroom since the day I bought it. I still have no idea why I put it there, instead of in it's more appropriate place, in the dining area. So, to set everything right, I ended up rotating 3 pieces of furniture, including unloading and then reloading each piece.

I know that my pantry is no different than anyone else's in that when I get home from the grocery store, I put things in where they will fit, as opposed to where they belong. This always makes for a big mess and an eventual treasure hunt when the time finally comes to see what's really in there. And what did I find? A shocking array of things that I had forgotten about:
  • A case of Pria bars - still good to eat and now heading to work to be stashed in my desk
  • 5 cans of corn - apparently there was a good deal at some point
  • Multiple boxes and bags of already opened sugar - I wonder what I was wanting to bake?
  • Microwave popcorn - so much that it makes me wince
  • Tuna, in many forms - steak, canned, pouch - and I HATE tuna

I have no idea what might have possessed me to buy any tuna in the first place, let alone that much. I don't even know what to do with it, how to cook it, or eat it, or not gag from it. But, I guess that I willl be eating some type of a tuna-corn casserole in my near future. I can hardly wait!